Sunday 8 August 2010

Festivals 2010: Zombies and colonials

In case you've been sleeping for the past few years, it's worth mentioning that zombies are IN at the moment. Film, TV, books, games - everywhere you look, thar be zombies. In this spirit, there were two 'zombie walks' within 24 hours this weekend.

 

The first, hosted by the Confraternity of Neoflaggelants, started from the Scott Monument at 11pm and wended its way to a secret location (which, to no surprise, was Inspace). Alas, these zombies were considerably faster and less shambling than expected so I thoroughly missed their spate of late-night terror and wasn't fancy-dressed enough to attend their party. Curses.

 

The second was more shambolic and of less certain origin. After much online confusion about the starting time and some wrangling of fake blood, a small group of undead left the Zoo Southside (Southside Community Centre to any locals out there) on Sunday afternoon for a bit of a stroll.

 

 

However disorganised the start, I have rarely seen a better behaved set of brain-craving monsters. They even waited patiently at the lights.

 

 

They eventually shuffled their way into Forbidden Planet where, I gather, there was some sort of zombie-related book reading. Uncertain about how well they might fare surrounded by books and toys, I left them to fester.

 

Time for a quickie on the High Street then. A surprisingly violent performance promoting what I think may have been a show about boxing...

 

 

And the welcome return of Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens. Well, I say welcome but I've not seen the show for about eight years and they might not be any good. I'll try to see it anyway...

 

 

I'm not sure if the girl at the end is a Space Vixen, and was afraid to ask.

 

Last year, while wandering the Festival streets, some American girls foolishly tried to flyer me. About an hour of banter later I realised that I had to go and see their show; anyone who can put up with me in Festival spirits for that long much have something going for them. Skinny Bitch Jesus Meeting were they, and on a triumphant return this year for more absurd fun.

 

 

For a small show in a smallish venue (Whistle Binkie's) they managed a pretty full house, probably due to their irrepressable colonial, er, charm? They're a part of one of the Free Fringes - which I can't help but love in principle, as they're making the Fringe fringe again: go to a show, and if you don't like it - or are poor - you don't pay! There should be more of this sort of thing and fewer big names using Edinburgh's crowds as easy tour fodder...

 

 

Seeing them again led to meeting further New Yorkers, all of whom were in some way involved in shows and generally lovely. Where other than Edinburgh in August can you meet someone whose job is a Sex in the City tour guide? Oh, New York I expect. Anyway, it amazes me that people can come across the Atlantic and perform for 'free' (with donations) without bankrupting themselves. I'm glad they do, though.

 

 

Coming up: Nice to see you, to see you...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment